Friday, February 27, 2009

Car Troubles

On our 8th visit I (Maggie) made some homemade play dough for the boys who seemed never played with it before. The play dough in the shops was very expensive. I gave them each a big chunk of home made play dough to play. Oleg was very excited about it and took a big bit! Pretty soon, he found it didn’t taste good. I showed them what they could do with play dough. Their interest was short lived.We also bought two cars for the boys, one batman car for Sasha and a fire engine for Oleg. I was afraid that they might both want the batman car which was the last one left in the shop. They did have some problems with the cars, but not the kind that I thought.At the beginning Oleg was happy with his fire engine and Sasha, the batman car. Then, one device of the batman car fell off. It still run fast, but doesn’t go backwards anymore. Sasha then was upset about it and said that Oleg had a better car than his and didn’t want his car anymore. Kim tried to fix it, but couldn’t get it back to where it was. Oleg on the other hand had no trouble enjoyed both cars which made Sasha more upset about the whole thing. To console Sasha I let him play a computer game on my iBook. He was fine for a few minutes, then got cranky again about his batman car. We ended this unhappy episode by playing jump rope and roughhousing which both boys enjoyed a lot. Before we left I told the boys that I was a bit sad to see them fight over the cars. I wanted them to know that cars would break after a while, but they would always be brothers who should value each other more than their favorite toys. I know it was preachy, but wanted to make my point. They nodded their heads. Kisses and hugs ended our visit in a better note.Sasha asked whether we could visit them in the morning the next day, since he had no school because his school had no water. Our translator thought it would be better to stick to the schedule that the director gave us.Well, on our way to the orphanage this afternoon we got a call from the secretary of the orphanage informing us not to come today due to inconvenience. Our translator, Olga, asked her to let the boys know about our not visiting them today. In the early evening Sasha called Olga to ask that we would bring them two bananas and cars tomorrow. She said that Sasha sounded sad. We were disappointed not being able to see them, too.As the famous orphan “Annie” would sing “Tomorrow I love you, tomorrow...” (I need Renee’s help to get the lyrics out!) All in all, we look forward to seeing the boys again, tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment